This is really nice. She's got a certain sadness and moroseness to her which I think seems appropriate from your description of her in class. It's an interesting juxtaposition from the usual carefree nature of kids, and I think that's one of the reasons that the novel that you guys are concept designing for is an important concept to explore. Kids growing up in this situation would definitely have a different way of viewing life. The feet pointing inward indicate that she's shy/insecure as well. And one hand half hidden behind her back kind of does the same, so if that's one of her character traits then it's very effective at portraying that. One thing that seems off is that her dress seems to curve down around her stomach instead of going straight around towards her back. I don't know how the dress is constructed but I would figure out how to make that look more natural/intentional. Also, her left sleeve doesn't seem to fall that naturally on her wrist.
A good starting point for the main character. The questions I would encourage you to ask would be: How can I make her more memorable? Distinctive from other girls at a similar age, in a similar time? What is iconic about her?
Not sure? Go back to the novel and see if there is anything provided by the author that you can build on. A unique visual indicator or distinguishing characteristic. If not, can you endow her with something unique that is visual in nature? Think of comparable characters from other stories, and what their distinctive, memorable physical characteristic(s) is/are. For example:
Pippi Longstocking = crazy braids and freckles, Ramona Quimby = the short "bob" haircut, unkempt clothes Hermione Granger = bushy brown hair, brown eyes, large front teeth Eilonwy = red-gold hair, golden bauble, silver crescent necklace
Also on this design, the shirt/blouse under the dress feels a bit nondescript, like it could be just a modern long-sleeve t-shirt. What details have you researched that you could add at the neck or sleeves to make it feel a little more period-specific?
This may seem like a minor detail, but as they say "the devil is in the details." (Josh Steadman actually said that during our visit to Evermore last week, in reference to theme park design. I'm not sure if everyone heard him.) The architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe said, "God is in the details." I guess the point is that details matter because they add up, and they either support the story and its themes, or they detract from it. It's worth the work to find and apply details that support the story you want to tell.
This is really nice. She's got a certain sadness and moroseness to her which I think seems appropriate from your description of her in class. It's an interesting juxtaposition from the usual carefree nature of kids, and I think that's one of the reasons that the novel that you guys are concept designing for is an important concept to explore. Kids growing up in this situation would definitely have a different way of viewing life. The feet pointing inward indicate that she's shy/insecure as well. And one hand half hidden behind her back kind of does the same, so if that's one of her character traits then it's very effective at portraying that. One thing that seems off is that her dress seems to curve down around her stomach instead of going straight around towards her back. I don't know how the dress is constructed but I would figure out how to make that look more natural/intentional. Also, her left sleeve doesn't seem to fall that naturally on her wrist.
ReplyDeleteA good starting point for the main character. The questions I would encourage you to ask would be: How can I make her more memorable? Distinctive from other girls at a similar age, in a similar time? What is iconic about her?
ReplyDeleteNot sure? Go back to the novel and see if there is anything provided by the author that you can build on. A unique visual indicator or distinguishing characteristic. If not, can you endow her with something unique that is visual in nature? Think of comparable characters from other stories, and what their distinctive, memorable physical characteristic(s) is/are. For example:
Pippi Longstocking = crazy braids and freckles,
Ramona Quimby = the short "bob" haircut, unkempt clothes
Hermione Granger = bushy brown hair, brown eyes, large front teeth
Eilonwy = red-gold hair, golden bauble, silver crescent necklace
Also on this design, the shirt/blouse under the dress feels a bit nondescript, like it could be just a modern long-sleeve t-shirt. What details have you researched that you could add at the neck or sleeves to make it feel a little more period-specific?
This may seem like a minor detail, but as they say "the devil is in the details." (Josh Steadman actually said that during our visit to Evermore last week, in reference to theme park design. I'm not sure if everyone heard him.) The architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe said, "God is in the details." I guess the point is that details matter because they add up, and they either support the story and its themes, or they detract from it. It's worth the work to find and apply details that support the story you want to tell.